Penguins are coming to the ABQ BioPark!
The ABQ BioPark Zoo will open Penguin Chill in 2018.
Meet the penguins that will call Albuquerque home.
- Second largest penguins in the world
- Dive deeper than any other penguin
- Incubate eggs on their feet instead of in a nest
- Spend most of their life at sea, only coming ashore during nesting season.
- Named by English explorers. In 18th century England, a man wearing a hat with fancy feathers was called a “macaroni.”
- Most common penguin, but populations have declined by 30% in 20 years.
- Fastest swimming penguin
- May dive 400+ times per day to hunt krill and fish
- Eat food that thrives in warmer ocean temperatures.
There are 15 other species of penguins in the world, some of which are critically endangered. But, all penguins are on thin ice. Overfishing, changing ocean temperatures and pollution threaten their survival.
You can help penguins thrive.
Keep it local
Support the education programs at the ABQ BioPark’s Penguin Chill, and help our local community learn about penguins. Click here to donate, and select Penguin Education Programs.
Raise a glass (or can)
Rio Bravo Brewing Company donates $1 from every Penguin Light Lager purchased to the New Mexico BioPark Society. Remember: recycling your beer can helps penguins too.