Manager of Finance and Administration
Position Title: Manager of Finance and Administration
Classification: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
Function: The Finance & Administration Manager contributes to the overall success of the New Mexico BioPark Society (NMBPS) by effectively managing all financial tasks.
Areas of responsibility include: This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
Financial and managerial accounting and reporting
- Prepare and maintain timely and accurate financial statements and reports appropriate for the users and in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) for nonprofits
- Review and implement all accounting policies and procedures for compliance with GAAP and with requirements established by funding sources and other agencies
- Ensure and maintain a system of internal control for all accounting transactions, and administrative controls as related to employees, fixed assets, purchases, budgeting in accordance with GAAP and Governmental Accounting Standards
- Ensure that all statutory requirements of the organization are met
- Prepare all supporting information for the annual audit and liaise with external auditors as necessary
- Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions
- Manage financial accounting systems for cash, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and petty cash
- Reconcile bank and investment accounts
- Pay all bills and reimbursements with Executive Director approval
- Maintain the general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure that personnel and financial information is secure and stored in compliance with current laws and regulations
- Organize money handling process and collect funds for events
- Keep contracts current, both vendor and City as well as partner and other contractual arrangements
- Track and update records to pay all obligations, including dues, quarterly city staff payment, etc.
- Assist auditors in preparation of tax returns
- Liaise with the Treasurer, Finance Committee and/or Audit Committee as appropriate, including attendance at Board and similar meetings
- Assist the Executive Director and the Board Treasurer with financial reporting as required at Board meetings and Annual General Meeting; prepare financial statements and reports for Board meetings
- Manage the acquisition of capital assets and ensure that assets are properly recorded, amortized, and disposed of as appropriate
- Manage operation of ABQ BioPark Teller Machines
Payroll preparation and administration
- Prepare payroll ensuring that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner
- Maintain personnel files and administer the employee insurance and benefits plans
- With Executive Director, oversee and lead annual budget process
- Assist development staff on occasion with funding applications
- Maintain financial records for each restricted donation category in a manner that facilitates timely reporting on the financial activity of individual projects
- Monitor risk management policies and procedures to ensure programs and organizational risks are minimized
- Advise the organization’s leadership on appropriate insurance coverage for employees
- Maximize income and reduce expenses where possible and appropriate
- Negotiate with Banks for financial services as required and appropriate
- Administer all leases, contracts and other financial commitments
- Monitor all legislation relevant to the organization (employment standards, occupation health and safety, human rights, etc.)
- Keep leadership informed of status of activities and of significant events and problems
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by conducting research; attending seminars, educational workshops, classes and conferences; reviewing professional publications; establishing networks; participating in professional societies.
- Contribute to a team effort
- Perform other duties as required or assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field or 6+ years of financial and operations management
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Knowledge of federal and state law affecting charities
- Knowledge of legislation on Employment Law, Occupational Health and Safety, and Human Rights
- Knowledge of and ability to utilize accounting and reporting software
Should demonstrate competence in the following:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Superb organization skills; detail-oriented with strong follow-through and ability to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and effectively collaborate with – fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- A multitasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills
- Ethics/integrity beyond reproach
- Demonstrated resourcefulness, good judgment and dedication to the mission of NMBPS – making the exceptional possible at the ABQ BioPark.
CPA Certification. Knowledge of not-for-profit accounting. Knowledge of and passionate commitment for the mission of NMBPS. Grant management experience. Experience writing policies and procedures as well as process evaluation. Experience with Abila MIP software.
Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not be considered for the position. No phone calls please. NMBPS is an equal opportunity employer.